A1 Water & Mold Removal MA Logo

Boston Common

Boston Common (commonly known as the Common) is the city’s largest public park in Boston, Massachusetts. The Boston Commons is another name for it. The park was founded in 1634. It was one of the first urban parks in the United States. It was founded in 1634. Tremont Street (139 Tremont St.), Park Street, Beacon Street, Charles Street, and Boylston Street border the 50-acre (20-hectare) Boston Common. The Common is part of the Emerald Necklace of parks and parks that extends south and north through the Common to Franklin Park in Jamaica Plain, Roxbury, and Dorchester. Tremont Street is home to a visitor’s center that services the entire city of Boston. Tremont Street is on the other side of the park.

Boston Common’s Central Burying Ground is located on the Boylston Street side. It is the final resting place of artists Gilbert Stuart and composer William Billings. The cemetery also holds the graves of Samuel Sprague and his son, Charles Sprague, two of America’s first poets. Samuel Sprague was a Boston Tea Party activist and Revolutionary War soldier. The Boston Landmarks Commission listed the Common as an official Boston Landmark 1977.

Boston Common once encompassed the full block northeast of where Park Street is now, flanked by Beacon Street and Tremont Street. The modern Granary Burying Ground was established as part of the Common around 1660. The area was divided into the Block and the Common in 1662. The Granary and correctional housing were built in the Block’s southwest corner. The northern section was developed for residences. The Common has developed in usage. It was owned by William Blaxton (commonly referred to as “Blackstone”), Boston’s first European settler, until it was purchased from his estate in about 1634. Puritan founding members of the Massachusetts Bay Colony then purchased it. Various households exploited the region for cow grazing in the 1600s. However, it was only used for a few years before affluent families purchased more cows. This resulted in much grass grazing, a classic example of the “tragedy of the commons.” Even after grazing was prohibited for up to 70 animals per day in 1646, The Boston Common continued to host cows until they were removed from the region in 1830 by Mayor Harrison Gray Otis. A1 Water and Mold Removal MA

Restaurants and Pubs

  • Busy Bee Restaurant & Diner is located at 1046 Beacon St, Brookline, MA
  • El Pelon Taqueria is located at 92 Peterborough St, Boston, MA
  • Corner Pub is located at 162 Lincoln St, Boston, MA
  • The Hub Pub is located at 18 Province St, Boston, MA

Discover other attractions like Boston Public Garden